Mental Health/Counselling Guide
Newcomers Centre of Peel
· Newcomer Centre of Peel is a “multi-service” agency serving the needs of Canadian newcomers.
· The NCP offers counselling services to newcomers in 3 forms:
Through their Refugee Resettlement Services, refugees find access to mental health support/resources in over 10 languages, including Arabic.
The NCP also partners with the Peel District School Board and the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board to provide resettlement services, which include counselling and general healthcare, to newcomer families.
Through their funded parenting program, they aim to promote family wellness and best parenting practices or newcomer families.
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
· The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) is Canada’s largest mental health teaching hospital for treatment, care, and rehabilitation. The centre has 3 locations that service patients including their 24/7 emergency department.
· The following is some of the services/programs patients can find at CAMH:
Clinical Laboratory & Diagnostic Services.
Intensive Integrated Day Treatment for mood, anxiety, trauma, and addictions.
Therapeutic Brain Intervention service for difficult to treat psychiatric disorders.
Youth Addiction and Concurrent Disorder Services for 14–24-year-olds dealing with substance abuse.
Problem Gambling & Technology Use Support Group and treatment services for gambling problems, excessive gaming, and internet use.
Their LEARN social, educational, and recreational programming for young people exhibiting early signs of psychosis.
Integrated Care Pathway for Dementia, Agitation, and Aggression treatment for adults with dementia manifesting aggressively.
Youth Concurrent Education Night is an event hosted for families and friends to address mental health, addiction, self-care, and regulating gaming/internet use.
Structured Observation & Treatment Unit caters to male patients with major mental illnesses representing a safety risk through interim assessment, treatment, and stabilization.
Memory Clinic provides assessments and follow up for clients 50 years or older experiencing memory loss and other cognitive issues.
Schizophrenia Services for inpatient and outpatient treatment for clients experiencing an acute phase of schizophrenia.
Better Behaviour Service (BBS) offers assessment and treatment for clients ages 6 to 18 exhibiting oppositional, non-compliant, aggressive, impulsive and/or dysregulated behaviour.
New Beginnings Clinic for refugees offers psychiatric consulting, care provider consulting and culturally sensitive interventions to newly arrived refugees.
Family Resource Centre provides families and friends of CAMH clients with support and educational services.
· Clients can find the services above and more on the website, along with application, contact, and referral information.